HEALTHY HABITS FOR 2019
HEALTHY HABITS FOR 2019
You don’t have to wait for the new year to start practicing healthy habits in 2019. Try to incorporate one of these habits into your daily routine and before you know it, you will have established one new habit.
1. Move your body at least once a day. Feel-good endorphins are released when we exercise. Exercise can simply be a walk before or after dinner. It doesn’t have to be an hour-long sweat session to gain the benefits from daily movement. If you are moving once a day your body will thank you.
2. Drink more water. This one has been said so many times before, but still a very important one. Oftentimes we are dehydrated and don’t know it until we get that thirst response. When we are thirsty, our bodies are already dehydrated. The key is to hydrate throughout the day. Aim for 8 glasses of water a day. First thing in the morning, have a tall glass of water before breakfast.
3. Eat greens with every meal. Our bodies crave micronutrients so that we can build new cells. One great way is to add greens to your morning smoothie. Try adding in a handful of spinach or zucchini. Yes, I said zucchini. You won’t even taste it, I promise. Zucchini not only adds in beneficial vitamins and fiber but gives your smoothie a creaminess like bananas. This is good for those who can’t tolerate bananas in their smoothies or even to cut down on the sugar from the bananas.
4. Dry brushing. I love dry brushing. Dry brushing not only helps with exfoliation of the skin but also helps stimulate the lymphatic system to help detoxify the body. As a bonus, it may help reduce the appearance of cellulite.
5. Set up a daily mindful practice. This can either be through meditation, journaling, or even yoga. This practice can help to lower stress and unwind. You can set your intentions for the day if you do this in the morning. In the evening, you can think about all that you are grateful in the past day.
There are two great apps that I love to use in my mindful practice. The calm app is great for meditation or before bedtime. I love the “sleep stories” which always help me drift to sleep faster. Headspace app is another one of my favorites. This one, in particular, helps with mindfulness. I love how the app helps you to focus on your breathing to help relieve anxiety and stress.